Last year I bought a beautiful, established hanging basket of petunias. About half-way through the summer I realized that the tops of the vines were filled with nothing but dead leaves and the bottom was all scraggly. It pretty damn ugly. So in desperation I just cut everything off to a couple of inches, expecting it to die. To my surprise I soon had a beautiful, lush, blossom-laden plant.
This year when my petunias were being hit by budworms I realized they were getting spindly, too. Too many scraggly vines, fewer and fewer blooms. I knew there had to be a less drastic way of pruning than just snipping off the whole vine so I went scrounging online and came up with a little video. In just a second I'll post it so that others can see it to. Next year I'll start doing this even earlier for a much bushier plant.